Saturday, September 20, 2008


>> Ode to Blueberries


It is now September and with a long-cast glance back at the mild Seattle summer, as you may recall from my most previous post, I was pretty much infatuated with eating blueberries. So infatuated to the point of going blueberry picking at a local organic berry farm. It was loads of fun and get this: the price of one pound of organic blueberries was just $1.50. That's amazingly cheap. At Whole Foods, PCC, or Metropolitan Market (the latter two are local Seattle natural foods markets), a pint of organic blueberries is easily $4.99. Astounding.




So in light of posting about blueberries (despite backtracking a bit) -- what first triggered my infatuation with blueberries dates back to July 4th. I, of course, made dessert for a Fourth of July barbecue. I decided to make a tastefully patriotic-looking cheesecake yet still wholesome, showcasing the seasonally fresh flavours of summer goodness. So this is what I came up with: a vanilla bean cheesecake with an almond meal crust, decorated with freshly sliced strawberries, vanilla cream cheese piping and sweet plump blueberries: red, white and blue. 
 


No comments: